Thursday, January 27, 2011

PW Leafs bury Riptide in Rink by Ghost Town

This was an interesting experience, playing at the rink by the lovely defunct town of Wagon Wheel (now a small community by us in South OC..FYI!), as Hayden and the Maple Leafs cruised to a second straight shutout. I was given the tip by the Zamboni dude that there was a fine little wooden platform behind one of the goals, and I could film from there. Wow, I figured I would be styling, on the brink of doing my finest film job ever, making the coaches, parents and boys oh so proud and impressed.

Not so much....

The ledge was suspended about 4 feet up, with no steps. After attempting to sort of scale it, I found a small rickety ladder. Hoisted the gear up, and then got in position. Could work, except the glass looked like it was washed with dirty pond water and left to dry. Perhaps not since the days of the covered wagon was any sort of maintenance done on the glass. The first couple goals were fortunately scored just in front of my lofty, hallowed perch, but between the two foot wide ledge and the glass from hell, I moved quickly to my more typical side of the goal-line spot. Enough about me -- the Leafs played a solid road game, capitalizing on opportunities, and stifling the chances and making it possible for Hayden to control anything that came his way.

Here are some game highlights--enjoy!

Riptide Rolled by Leafs

No comments:

Post a Comment